Wednesday, October 25, 2006

FEMA flood rate maps adopted

The Council past the new FEMA flood maps without my support because I have not yet been assured that our flood development restrictions will not be compromised from this action. I had asked for further clarification before passage but a vast majority of the Council did not seem swayed by my argument to wait. We will be talking about this at a future Council meeting but my opinion is that we should not build new developments in any part of the floodplains. We should not lessen our restrictions on floodplain development whether by shrinking the flood zones or by adopting less strict standards.
As we are trying to deal with stormwater management issues it is important to stop any situation that might disturb mother natures ability to naturally deal with flood waters. I look forward to this discussion and will again propose stricter regulations as I have in the past.